1 July 2004: At the meeting of the World Heritage Committee held in Suzhou (China) decides unanimously registration of Madriu-Perafita-Claror (VMPC) in the list of World Heritage Sites within the cultural landscape.
27 of October of 2005: the VMPC is declared of cultural interest of Andorra. It is protected by the Law of Cultural Heritage of Andorra.
December 28, 2011: The management plan of the VMPC is approved, with the objective of setting clear objectives and planning the actions necessary to reach them.
The Management Committee is the principal management body for the Valley. It is formed by the Mayors of Encamp, Andorra la Vella, Sant Julià de Lòria and Escaldes-Engordany. Each parish maintains its jurisdiction over the portion of territory, but interventions in the valley are decided by unanimity of the four members of the Management Committee. And for any intervention, a prior and mandatory report from the Ministry of Culture is required.
The Management Committee is advised by an Advisory Board.
It should be recalled that UNESCO has no competence over the Valley. UNESCO only sets standards to continue to maintain a good in the list of World Heritage, which are basically the protection and conservation of the property inscribed on the list. The State is regularly obliged to inform the World Heritage Committee of the conservation status of the property, which assesses its status and decides whether or not to remain on the list.
The managing body is composed of:
The members of the management Committee for the mandate 2020-2024 are:
– Mayoress of Encamp, Hon. Ms. Laura Mas Barrionuevo.
– Mayoress of Andorra la Vella, Hon. Ms. Conxita Marsol Riart.
– Mayor of Sant Julià de Lòria, Hon. Mr. Josep Majoral Obiols.
– Mayoress of Escaldes-Engordany, Hon. Ms. Sra. Rosa Gili Casals.
The Advisory Board members are:
– Minister of Culture, M.I. Ms. Sílvia Riva González.
– Representative of the Private Owners Association of the Madriu, Ms. Meritxell Font Vilaginés.
– Representative of associations dedicated to the protection of nature, Mr. Carlos Iriarte Fraga.
– Secretary General of the Andorran National Commission for UNESCO, Mr. Jean Michel Armengol.
The Director of the Management Plan is Ms. Susanna Simon Torralba.