C/ Prat de la Creu 74-76, baixos. Andorra la Vella

The madriu-perafita-claror VALLEY: WORLD HERITAGE SITE

The Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley was declared World Heritage by UNESCO in 2004 thanks to the value of its landscape. The preservation of a large valley in its entirety is an unusual event and this is the only case that is found in the Pyrenees.

It is in the south-east of Andorra and covers a surface area of 4,247 hectares. It coincides with the basin of the River Madriu, which represents about 10% of the surface area of Andorra, and is distributed between the parishes of Encamp, Andorra la Vella, Sant Julià de Lòria and Escaldes-Engordany.

A peripheral protection area of 4,092 hectares has been defined around this open space. The sum of the surface areas of the central zone plus the peripheral zone occupy almost a fifth part of the Andorran territory.

Approximately 99% of the surface area of the Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley is communal property. The remaining 1% belongs to some thirty private owners and covers little more than 42 hectares of land at the bottom of the valley, in the parish of Escaldes-Engordany.

Highest point: 2.905m, Portelleta peak

Lowest point: 1,056m, Pont de la Tosca

12 km long

Orientation East-West

Visitors to the valley will enjoy during their visit a large number of peaks, more than thirty lakes, highlighting the second largest lake in the country, the Illa lake, or the presence of 70% of the fauna species listed in Andorra and 40% of the country’s habitats. These are just some of the natural attractions that add to the valley’s cultural heritage that UNESCO recognized as exceptional …

Twinning with l'entente Causses et Cévenne

On June 6, 2019, the Madriu-Perafita-Claror valley was twinned with the Es Causses & Cévennes agreement. These two places have common characteristics, namely:

  • are cultural landscapes inscribed on the World Heritage List,
  • are natural and mountain goods,
  • they have an important heritage of cattle and dry stones.

The Causses and the Cévennes are 2 territories south of the French Massif Central which cover more than 302,319 hectares.

It is a landscape of mountains and deep valleys representative of the relationship between agro-pastoral systems and their biophysical environment. Landscapes have been shaped by agro-pastoralism for three millennia, particularly through transhumance routes. In Lozère, summer transhumance is still traditionally practiced.

The Causses and the Cévennes are grouped together in the same inscription “Causses and Cévennes, the agro-pastoral cultural landscape of the Mediterranean”, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2011.

Objectives of the twinning:

  • Share experiences and management models on culture and heritage,
  • The creation of a network of cooperation and solidarity, to promote subjects of work or voluntary actions between associations or young people in each territory,
  • The creation of synergies for tourist, scientific, educational and cultural exchanges,
  • The promotion of the two territories and their values ​​through the richness of the exchanges maintained,
  • The opening of local populations to other cultures.